Students Give Life

Brandi Peverley, Activities Editor

Allen Community College held its annual blood drive Feb. 6. This event was hosted by Allen Student Services in partnership with the American Red Cross.

The Red Cross plays a key role in not only community but nationwide health. It is the largest single supplier of blood and blood products in the United States, collecting and processing approximately 40 percent of the blood supply from 3.1 million donors and distributing it to about 2,600 hospitals and transfusion centers nationwide, according to information from the organization. Its services date back to World War II.

Allen has a long association with Red Cross and encourages students to donate blood if possible. Caroline Flory, a sophomore and frequent donor, said, “You really need to be prepared, hydrated and well rested before you give. It is a typically pain-free process, and you feel really good about yourself knowing you are helping save lives!”

Samantha Root, a sophomore who helped work this year’s drive, said, “I love giving blood because I know that it helps save multiple lives. This year’s drive was a definite success, and I always have fun helping out!”

Giving blood is great way to help others. A process that only takes a few minutes can help test your own health and improve or sustain the health and lives of others. If you’re still not convinced, the juice and cookies is a good incentive!