Allen Farm Bureau Active

Brandi Peverley, Activities Editor

The Allen Community College Collegiate Farm Bureau chapter is a club for students majoring in the area of agriculture. It meets the first Wednesday of every month and follows proper parliamentary procedure in official meetings discussing past and upcoming events.

Members also attend many events away from Iola throughout the year, one of the largest being the Young Farmers and Ranchers Leadership Convention in Manhattan on January 27-29. This is a statewide convention where students get to compete in different events like quiz bowl and discussion meest, along with attending breakout sessions of their choosing. There’s also a multitude of accredited speakers.

Cole Coxbill, the 2016 YF&R chair said, “My desire to create a better future for my children motivated me to get involved with YF&R. I have personally learned how to better manage my farm and the conference networking has created relationships, life-long friends and resources.”

The Allen group will also attend a commodities conference in Manhattan and a day at the Statehouse in Topeka, both occurring the weekend of February 7-9. There they will get to attend workshops and sessions with agriculture officials, then visit the Capitol building and meet with state and government authorities.

The ACC Collegiate Farm Bureau also helps with various events such as Allen’s Aggie Day and Farm-City Days.

The members are very tight knit group with a passion for agriculture and helping the youth learn about the importance of farming and ranching. Terry Powelson is the advisor, and Debbie Bearden is the Allen County Farm Bureau coordinator who helps the collegiate chapter with all of its events and its monthly meetings.

Bearden said Farm Bureau “is a great place to get new ideas. It’s a changing industry with lots we can learn that we can take back home to our own operations.”

This year’s ACC Collegiate Farm Bureau officers are Bailey Corwine, president, Caleb Powelson, vice president, Brandi Peverley, secretary, Kyle Bauer, treasurer, Brian Palmer, Student Senate, and Jenna Thurman, reporter.