Dishwasher Enjoys Work Behind Scenes

Adesuwa Osagiede

John Sherrill has worked in the Allen cafeteria for 13 years and enjoys serving students, faculty, staff and administrators.

Adesuwa Osagiede, Health Editor

The late deliverer of the “Last Lecture,” Randy Pausch, once said, “Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other.”

Though that statement is true, many people underestimate the power of “Thank you.” The countless staff members at Allen Community College ensure things keep operating smoothly for students. Some positions are more visible, but each has importance.

Many students and personnel may recognize John Sherrill as the man from the dish room in the cafeteria. Fe has regularly showed up and ensured diners have clean plates, cups, bowls and eating utensils without much recognition other than his paycheck, but that’s enough for Sherrill.

Sherrill likes his job at Allen and has been working here for 13 years. He said he has enjoyed watching the campus change and grow over the years. “A lot more housing has been added,” he noted, which incidentally means much more traffic flowing through the Allen caf.

He likes Iola and has no plans to move. My mom and older brother are here,” he said. “I haven’t thought about relocating but it’s possible. I’m just going with the flow; whatever happens.happens.”

He watches with interest each class of students that traipses through the college and hopes all of them “take care of what you have while you’re here. Take advantage of the classes.”