Preparation is Key

Austin George, Features Editor

The temperature is dropping and the ending of fall semester is slowly approaching. However, it’s not all smiles, fun and laughter. Winter break means finals! People view finals differently from each other. Some individuals see it as a grade deduction for the simple fact that some students don’t prepare well, while others see it as an opportunity to raise a lower grade. No matter how you view it, finals are dreadful. However, there are some little tricks that you can do to ensure that you succeed on your final exams.

Luis Hernandez, a freshman, is very optimistic about his upcoming tests.

Unfortunately this is a week I do not look forward to. However, I always study for about two hours the night before and then make sure I get eight hours of sleep.

— Luis Hernandez

Sleep is the most important part of studying for a final. According to USA Today, individuals that stay up all night and then go take their finals actually score lower than individuals who study and get eight hours of sleep.

“I also make sure I get up the morning of to ensure I get a good breakfast. Waking up for finals can be a pain, but if you leave yourself enough time to eat and refresh in the morning, it helps,” says Hernandez.

John Mitabarro, a freshman, is a little worried about is tests, however he has a few tips that will get him through the week.

“I talk to all my teachers a few days before and create notecards for each class that allows me to do so,” says Mitabarro. The first semester is approximately nine weeks therefore it could be hard to obtain all the information you cover. Communication with your professors is important to make sure you can review and cover key point for each of your finals.

“I really like using a planner at this time of year,” says Mitabarro. “It helps me keep track of all my classes and when my finals are.”

Finals can be very stressful according to these two freshmen here at Allen. However, there are simple ways of getting around the countless hours of no sleep. The first way is to leave yourself a few days to talk to your instructors and ensure you know all the information on the test.

Secondly organize all the information in a planner so you can study them the night before. Finally, make sure you get at least four hours of sleep so you give your body and mind enough time to rest and prepare for the day. By using these simple tips and tricks, you can be successful on the finals and fix any grade you were worried about.