• Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @theallenflame

The Allen Flame

Communication Department Offers Variety

Bruce Symes and Terri Piazza try out their best Vanna White to display the Communications bulletin board in the Technology Building.

Gage Rourk

Gage Ruark, Activities Editor

Allen Community College offers an array of majors for its students, and one of the many programs on campus is the communication department. Terri Piazza, the lead instructor of the communication department and communication adviser, teaches a majority of the communication courses at Allen.

“The department is built to provide students with the foundational courses for communication,” said Piazza. “Since communication majors can go into so many different areas, we offer a wide range of classes for our students.”

The communication department offers classes for students interested in anything from interpersonal communication to reporting. These classes offered at Allen start students on the beginning steps toward their major. Students in this department take general education classes as well as at least one class related related to their major per semester.

Along with the communication classes, the department also offers an activity for students who are interested: newspaper.

News practicum is a class taught by Bruce Symes, the Writing Center coordinator . This is a class and an activity that gives students the opportunity to be on the team that writes articles for the college’s newspaper.

The department also offers a scholarship for being on the newspaper staff, which pays for books and tuition. Requirements for the scholarship include a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, must be enrolled in news practicum each semester and must take reporting class.

“News practicum is a unique class in that while we assign grades with deadlines and what have you, it is also an activity,” said Symes. “The students on our staff this year have come together and worked as a team to help get our news out to students and staff on and off campus.”

Students interested in becoming a part of the communication program at Allen can contact Piazza via email, [email protected]

• 2017-2018

Students Get To Pick

• 2017-2018

T-Will Leads On Court

• Communication Department Offers Variety

2017-2018

Venezuelan Follows Path to Allen

2017-2018

Longtime English Teacher Enjoys Her ‘Neat’ Students

2017-2018

Does the End of Net Neutrality Affect Schools?

2017-2018

Community College Impacts Area Economy

2017-2018

Baseball Season Recap

2017-2018

A Week in the Life: Lindsey Temaat

2017-2018

Staying Safe at Allen

2017-2018

Please Don’t Pull Me Over Again: A Girl Surviving the Speed Limits

The Official Student News Site of Allen Community College
Communication Department Offers Variety