Track Team Brings High Energy to Season

Allen sophomore Josh Doria, center, runs the 3,000-meter race at the Pittsburg State Rumble in the Jungle Meet.

Allison Smith

Allison Smith, Social Media Editor

Beginning of the new year marked the start of the Allen Community College Red Devil Indoor and Outdoor track season. This season, the team has 12 returners and 24 freshmen competing for head coach Vince DeGrado and assistant Dwight Davis.

According to DeGrado, momentum and energy from last fall’s cross-country season will carry on into the beginning of this track season.

The men’s finish last year was the best DeGrado has seen since he’s coached at Allen. He said that he hopes to carry high energy into this spring season to qualify for nationals and to succeed at each meet.

Sophomores Josh Doria and Amber Gloria said they are both very excited for what this season will bring, not only for them individually, but also for the team.

“I’m looking forward to the competition,” Doria said. “Team-wise, (I want to) win some team meets but I’m mostly looking forward to the national meet.”

I hope everyone gets to nationals, gets personal records, good times, and that they are happy with their season, Hopefully we can get a team placing.

— Amber Gloria

One end goal of the season is to qualify for indoor nationals, this year at Pittsburg State University. The National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) indoor nationals are one of the largest junior college meets of the season.  

“We usually have between 15 to 20 men and women qualify,” DeGrado said.

Coach DeGrado stated he wants to see his athletes be proactive, meaning taking advantage of what’s available to get better. DeGrado can’t wait to see what this outdoor season will bring and how the team executes.

“I am most excited not to be suspended and finally be at the meets,” DeGrado said, referring to a disciplinary action he endured the past year.

On the girl’s side of the team, Gloria said she wants to see the team excel in more ways than one.

Allison Smith
Sophomore Amber Gloria runs her 5,000-meter race at Pittsburg State University.

“I hope everyone gets to nationals, gets personal records, good times, and that they are happy with their season,” Gloria said. “Hopefully we can get a team placing.”

Being a returner on the team, Gloria explained that she really wants to see where her running will take her next year and to make the most of her last season being a Red Devil with DeGrado.

“I am sad this is my last season because I really like Coach DeGrado,” Gloria added. “He’s definitely a good coach, and I am here for him all the way. He has made a lot of people a lot faster.”