Allen Library Gets Competitive With Ready Player One

Marquese Garrett, Social Media Editor

Ready Player One has finally come to the big screen, based on Ernest Cline’s best selling novel of the same name. Allen Community College students are encouraged to go to the Allen Library this Thursday, March 29 at 6:00 p.m. to become a player in the Oasis.

Students will need a team of three to participate. Don’t know anyone? Sign up and library staffers will put students on someone’s team. Teams and individuals alike must sign up by 5:00 pm. on Wednesday, March 28. The games will begin at 6:30 pm.

Participants will get a free movie ticket, snacks, and might even win the grand prize (dinner for two at Dudley’s BBQ!) There’s a catch; students must turn in their phones at the beginning of the games. If they don’t turn them in, they will be suspected of cheating, so be prepared! Students also get extra points if they come with a team name and costumes, which could score them the grand prize.

ABOUT READY PLAYER ONE

Ready Player One, from filmmaker Steven Spielberg, will be showing at a special time for Allen students at Sterling Six Cinemas at 10:15 p.m. Thursday. The film is set in 2045, with the world on the verge of chaos and collapse. But the people have found salvation in the Oasis, an expansive virtual reality universe. When the creator dies he leaves his huge fortune to the first person to find a digital Easter egg he has hidden somewhere in the Oasis, sparking a contest that grips the entire world.