• Follow us on Twitter @theallenflame

The Allen Flame

ACARF Is Savior For Animals

Dog technician Ben Bloer and eight-year-old Jackie, a coonhound/bluetick mix, play outside the ACARF shelter in LaHarpe.

Nikayla Kussatz

Nikayla Kussatz, Health Editor

According to http://www.onegreenplanet.org/ , there are about 70 million stray animals in the United States. Around 2.7 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year due to no room in shelters. In order to help these numbers decrease, Allen County Animal Rescue Facility (ACARF), in LaHarpe, Kan.,  tries their hardest to take in and adopt out local stray animals.

Dog technician Rebecca Klar and 1 ½-year-old Maddox, a Labrador retriever/boxer mix.

ACARF is a non-profit, no-kill animal shelter which opened in July of 2010. It consists of five workers: one director, one cat specialist, and three dog technicians.

Director of ACARF, Jamie Porter, has worked at the facility since their opening in July of 2010. She started off as a volunteer until 2013, and then she became the director and has stayed in this position ever since.

“My favorite part of working here is seeing all the adoptions take place,” Porter said. “Being able to watch the animals pick their owners and watching all of our hard work pay off is so rewarding to me.”

Recently at the facility there were 38 dogs and 21 cats needing to be adopted. In a year, around 350 to 400 animals are adopted to a new family.

“We have a jar of marbles to represent the number of animals that we have saved. There are 2,000 marbles in the big jar, which represents that 2,000 animals have been adopted from our facility,” Porter said.

People bring in animals that they either find on the streets or cannot take care of any longer. There have been over 2,700 dogs and 1,700 cats that have been brought in since 2010.

ALL OF THE MONEY that goes toward this facility is raised from the public through fund-raising and donations; therefore, having volunteers helps contribute to the facility. One way to help out the community is to volunteer at ACARF. Since there are only five workers at the facility, any help is appreciated. Anyone can volunteer and students can get community service hours by helping.

“We need more volunteers every single day,” Porter said. “The dogs and cats need socialization to make them more likely to get adopted so volunteers really help us and the animals out a ton.”

“We need more volunteers every single day. The dogs and cats need socialization to make them more likely to get adopted so volunteers really help us and the animals out a ton.””

— Jackie Porter, ACARF director

Every single animal in the shelter loves being able to meet new people, especially play and get extra attention.

“Jackie is a coonhound, bluetick mix that was found in Chanute. She lost her paw due to a trap when she was a puppy,” dog technician, Rebecca Klar said, “despite her missing paw, she is a happy dog and loves meeting new people and playing with other pups.”

Over 2,000 marbles representing adopted animals sits on the ACARF counter, as does a list denoting needed items for donations to the non-profit group.

One thing that anyone can do to help the community and ACARF out is spay and neuter your animals and come out to volunteer at the facility. Any help is loved by the workers and animals.

About the Contributor
Nikayla Kussatz, Health Editor
New to the Allen Flame staff this year is freshman Nikayla Kussatz from Gardner, Kan.. Kussatz attended Gardner-Edgerton High School where she was active in her school’s yearbook class while also playing softball and volleyball. While in high school she was able to get some experience in the newspaper due to her helping out with...
  • 2017-2018

Students Get To Pick

• 2017-2018

T-Will Leads On Court

• ACARF Is Savior For Animals

2017-2018

Venezuelan Follows Path to Allen

• ACARF Is Savior For Animals

2017-2018

Longtime English Teacher Enjoys Her ‘Neat’ Students

• ACARF Is Savior For Animals

2017-2018

Does the End of Net Neutrality Affect Schools?

• ACARF Is Savior For Animals

2017-2018

Community College Impacts Allen Economy

• ACARF Is Savior For Animals

2017-2018

Baseball Season Recap

• ACARF Is Savior For Animals

2017-2018

A Week in the Life: Lindsey Temaat

• ACARF Is Savior For Animals

2017-2018

Staying Safe at Allen

• ACARF Is Savior For Animals

2017-2018

Communication Department Offers Variety

The Official Student News Site of Allen Community College
ACARF Is Savior For Animals