A Look at Allen Life for a Local

Bret Plumlee

Iola resident Tavon Bass is a member of the Allen Jazz Band.

Bret Plumlee, Health Editor

Allen Community College freshman Tavon Bass is an Iola local who is majoring in business. Bass is a percussionist with the Allen Community College Jazz Band. 

Bass was born in Chanute, a town 30 miles south of Iola, home of the Neosho Community College Panthers. He moved around Kansas much of his early life but has been settled in Iola for the past ten years of his life. 

Allen gives you a nice piece of diversity which is something we would otherwise lack in this town. It’s a great opportunity to build relationships with people throughout the country and world.

— Tavon Bass

Bass went to Iola High School where he participated in many extracurricular activities, including cross country, track, basketball, Future Business Leaders of America, and Student Council.

Bass believes that Allen brings a unique opportunity to local students.

He said, “Allen gives you a nice piece of diversity which is something we would otherwise lack in this town. It’s a great opportunity to build relationships with people throughout the country and world.” 

When asked about whether or not being a member of the jazz band had an affect on his social life, Bass said, “Not necessarily.” He added that although the program is relatively small, he has met some cool guys that he might not have met otherwise. 

However, Bass states that he faces some social adversity.

“Living off campus, I feel like there are disadvantages in the social aspect of Allen. It’s harder to find your niche in its diverse culture,” he said.