Allen to Celebrate Its 100th Over the Next Five Years

Virginia Shaffer, Allen library director and member of the Centennial Celebration Task Force, displays Allen Red Devil logos from the past which will be incorporated into displays promoting the schools 100th birthday.

Quinton Weld

Virginia Shaffer, Allen library director and member of the Centennial Celebration Task Force, displays Allen Red Devil logos from the past which will be incorporated into displays promoting the school’s 100th birthday.

Quinton Weld, Flame Staff Writer

Allen Community College is coming up on its centennial year. In 2023 Allen will turn 100 years old and the school plans on celebrating.

Over the next five years the school has many plans in mind to highlight the school’s incredible history and past. One of the larger events surrounding the centennial is the Allen Community College Endowment Association has centered a $5 million capital campaign around Allen’s 100th birthday.

In the upcoming years the school plans to put a lot of work into celebrating its century mark and making sure students are aware of it. When talking about the centennial and the work by members of the Centennial Celebration Task Force, co-chairperson Aimee Thompson said, “We are going to be displaying a timeline from 1923 when Allen started classes to 2023-24 when Allen celebrates its 100th year in higher education.”

The timeline, with historic frames of reference for each decade,  will be displayed in the hallway between the library and Student Center.

Students can also expect to see the school highlight past decades each school year leading up to the centennial.

“This year [Allen] is focusing on the 1920s and 1930s era of Allen Community College,” said Thompson. Each subsequent semester leading up to the 2023-24 academic year students will bring more about the different decades of the school and the students that attended during those times.

Special events, class assignments, Student Life activities and other things will draw attention to the various eras of the school’s past, she noted. There is plenty to look back on and over the next five years current and past students of Allen will get a glimpse into the past of Allen.

An assortment of Allen memorabilia includes a sweater, a scarf, a hat, and a pennant from bygone days.