Graduation Parties: Is the Tassel Worth the Hassle?

Zoie Baker, Student Reporter

Whether you are the one graduating or looking for a way to honor someone else who’s earned their diploma, graduating from college is a seen as a huge achievement. So, it would seem a celebration is in order, right? However, is a graduation party a necessary way to mark the occasion?

Traditionally, most people celebrate the big day with a graduation party; however, times have changed. After speaking with a few students about graduation, I found that the feelings and thoughts on what should be done after graduation varied from each student. Some students said that they have bigger parties with their families before graduation while others wait for the night of graduation to enjoy themselves.

When I spoke to students I had, an equal amount of both male and female students tell me that they would be doing both celebrating with family for a little while and then planning for the after-family party.

One anonymous source expressed about what she felt a graduation party consisted of and how it works in today’s age.

“Graduation parties are hit or miss, because you want to be able to have that time with your family and enjoy what they have been pushing you to do for so long. However, at the end of the day, you want to celebrate becoming a young adult and moving on from something you worked hard on with your friends and be able to have that one last party before everybody goes their separate ways”

Another source seemed to express a different opinion:

“A bigger party with family is awesome because I get to see everyone but the after party is what I wait for. I want to have fun with my friends and enjoy not having responsibilities. Graduation parties are cool.”

There were several opinions of which I came across that were negative and positive about graduation parties, but in the end, it is important to ask whether the tassel was worth the hassle and is it worth celebrating? Also, if having a party to celebrate graduation is what will make a person feel better about what just happened, then GO FOR IT!!

You make your own way in this world.