Student Directors Stage One-Acts

Kathryn Woodruff, from left, Carolyn Appleton, Austin Wickwire, Julius Hodges, Judd Wiltse and Morgan Jett are student directors for the Allen One-Acts this weekend.

Brayden Barnes

Brayden Barnes, Flame Staff Writer

Directing a stage production is a stressful and taxing responsibility. Directors all all quite different, but the one thing that they all do is get stressed out before a production. They don’t call the week before opening night “hell week” for nothing.

Now imagine that job being done by a student. Here at Allen Community College, just that is taking place. Auz students, Julius Hodges, Kathryn Woodruff, Morgan Jett, Carolyn Appleton, Austin Wickwire and Judd Wiltse, are each heading up their own operation as a director for the College One-Acts, which will take place Thursday through Saturday, Feb. 27-29, at the Allen Theater. Showtime is 7:30 p.m.

Hodges shed some light on what it’s like behind the scenes. He and the others earned this title by being in their second year, or more, in theatre. They have had the most experience within the department and working under a director so they have an understanding what it takes to fill the role.

“It is fun to watch your peers grow and find the scene,” Hodges said.

He added that the worst part of the process is all the moving parts involved. Furthermore, he expects all of the students to show up prepared and ready to work.

Hodges and the other directors are responsible for costume and set ideas, training the actors for that play, lighting, and presenting the show well.

The student directors put in a lot of work the past few weeks, but they agree it’s all paying off. The shows are expected to fit together very nicely

“It will be fun,” Hodges said. “And if it’s run well, it will be really awesome.”