Allen “Sends Off” Sophomore Class in Style

RJay McCoy, Sports Editor

• A variety of Allen students participated in activities at the college's first Sophomore Send-Off last Wednesday, including playing volleyball in the Student Center courtyard.

• Charlie Williams and Lukas Rich played corn hole at Sophomore Send-Off.

• Everyone who attended the Send-Off received a free T-shirt with the event logo.

• Austin Cuevas competed in the ping pong tournament at Sophomore Send-Off.

• Austin Ferguson and Hunter Crane enjoyed the break from the rain at one of the many picnic tables in the Student Center courtyard.

• Kameron Kilchrist played ladder toss in the Student Center courtyard with other members of the Red Devils baseball team.

• Whitney Mayberry, who celebrated her 19th birthday at the Sophomore Send-Off, and DeAnna McFadden posed for a picture sporting their event shirts!

• Tyler Turner enjoyed playing corn hole at the event, along with Alex Kafka and Lucas McCain.

• Future Student Senate and Phi Theta Kappa President Lexy Turntine played a big role in planning and setting up Wednesday's festivities.

• Students entered raffle drawings for gift cards that were given away throughout the night.

• From left, Austin Hendrix, Lexy Turntine, Carli Masiarczyk and Cristal Macias help hang up decorations on the Allen Bookstore window.

• During the event, sophomores were encouraged to plot on the map where they will be next fall!

• Over 20 volunteers decorated and set up the Student Center Wednesday afternoon before the event.

• The Student Center was decorated in a variety of vibrant summer colors for the event, hosted by Student Senate.

• Nancy Ford, the public relations coordinator at Allen Community College created this logo for the event, which was featured on promotions and t-shirts.

Nancy Ford

Just a couple days before the sophomores class walked across the commencement stage, Allen Community College hosted the first ever Sophomore Send-Off  in the Student Center. The event, held on May 1, was planned and executed by Student Senate, the student government organization at Allen, and Director of Student Life and Housing Ryan Bilderback.

Student Senate President Lindsey Temaat (left) flashed a grin with her roomate Lauren Suter at the Sophomore Send-Off photobooth.

The Sophomore Send-Off was an idea that Student Senate came up with, kind of a way to give our sophomores one last big student life event at Allen,” said Bilderback. “ A lot of students put a great deal of time and planning into the event, led by Student Senate President Lindsey Temaat.”

More than 20 volunteers helped set up and decorate for the event Wednesday afternoon. The evening’s festivities started off with cookout comfort food compliments of Great Western Dining in the dining hall. Soon after, students enjoyed playing corn hole and volleyball in the Student Center courtyard. Inside the Student Center students snapped pictures with friends in front of two photo booths, played pool in the game room, and participated in an intense ping pong tournament, all while jamming out to music. When night fell over campus,  the students danced under the stars with their favorite sophomores.

“I think it was pretty cool that everyone just came together and had a good, fun time with each other,” said Kameron Kilchrist.

Lindsey Temaat