• Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @theallenflame

The Allen Flame

Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Students Learn Life Skills Working in the Theater Dept.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Sophomore Padyne Durand said she enjoys working on costumes in the Allen Theater Department.

Theresa Longbotham

Theresa Longbotham

Theresa Longbotham

Judd Wiltse, Features Editor

There are many programs offered at Allen Community College that seek to provide students with essential skills for their career, one of those being the student work-study program. With positions available in several different departments, there is a wide range of availability. However, the theater department offers several different jobs for students.

I love coming to work and doing something like, and seeing the things I created on stage is always a feel-good moment.”

— Padyne Durand

One position with the theater is costume and set design. With five student directed one-act plays slated for performance in the beginning of March, in addition to  the spring play in April, the costume department has quite a hefty load to bear this semester. Yet, sophomore work-study Padyne Durand is undaunted by these obstacles.

“It’s been really interesting, difficult, and fun all at the same time,” Durand said. “It’s great getting to create costumes and learning different sewing techniques.”

According to Durand, sewing has always been an interest.

“Sewing is something I’ve always really liked doing but I haven’t had time to do,” she commented. “I love coming to work and doing something I like, and seeing the things I created on stage is always a feel-good moment.”

However costumes are just one aspect of the theater production beast. Building five different sets for the five different shows this March isn’t a task that can be achieved overnight. Luckily for Allen, the work study program is gifted with dedicated individuals who are more than happy to accept this challenge.

With freshman talents such as Abigail Allen and Lane Houk the set design department is in extremely capable hands. There is always room for learning though, as Lane Houk explains.

“I basically knew a lot of what to do in the shop but the big thing I am learning is how to sew,” Houk said. “It’s helped a lot and now I know how to patch stuff, and fix clothing.”

Houk went on to describe that a work-study can help students become more independent as they enter adult life.

“I think this will help me to be more independent and not have to rely on my mother or my grandmother by saying ‘Hey I’ve got a hole in my pants, can you patch this up?’” remarked Houk. “Now I’ll be able to do it myself.”

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Opinion

Campus Parking Lots Need Work

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Feature

Allen Has Major Variety

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Opinion

Living in Henryk is an Upgrade (Mostly)

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

News

Land of The Brave: February Celebrates Black History

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Sports

Time Management a Priority for Student Athletes

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Sports

Track Team Brings High Energy to Season

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Sports

Softball and Baseball Welcome New Talent

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

Student Activities

Wight to Represent Allen at State Band

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

News

Homecoming 2019 Candidates Crowned

• Work, Study, Why Not Both?

News

Choir Sells Singing Valentine’s to Locals

The Official Student News Site of Allen Community College
Work, Study, Why Not Both?