The Allen Flame

Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Back to Article
Back to Article

Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Last year's Tau Eta Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at Allen Community College. (Click to enlarge)

Allen Community College’s honor society, Phi Theta Kappa, Tau Eta Chapter, is inviting all students to its first monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 12 in the fishpond. Anyone interested in learning about PTK and possibly becoming a member, or who wish to socialize, can share in pizza and gather information.

Tosca Harris, dean of the Iola Campus, is supervising the group after the resignation of previous sponsor Tracy Lee. Imani Lemon, PTK president, is organizing the pizza social and rallying student interest in the honor society.

Requirements for membership are grade point average and dues. If a student completes 12 credit hours, obtains a 3.5 weighted GPA, and maintains a 3.2 GPA, he or she will be sent a letter from Allen’s retention specialist, Chandra Leis, inviting them to join. The $80 dues pay for the benefits provided by the international organization. This one-time fee can be made in a payment plan to suit student’s needs. Students are still highly encouraged to participate before either of those requirements are met, especially if they are interested in an officer position or confident in their GPA.

Graduating PTK members receive unique regalia (sashes, cords, pins), are celebrated in an induction ceremony, and honored on the wall of plaques next to the Student Life bulletin board. Membership is a good source of transfer scholarships, as PTK students on average receive $2,500 in transfer scholarships and the more involved grants and scholarships can easily net over $10,000.

At annual regional and international conferences, members are recognized and awarded on stage. Lemon described the conference experience as “the events that truly put PTK into perspective.”

“At my first conference I was lost and felt kind of small, but the second conference, I was all in,” he said. “Witnessing the sheer amount of pride, effort, and opportunity in one place feels like church.”

Conference expenses are paid by Tau Eta Chapter, and this year’s event is in Orland, Fla.

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

New PTK Members at Burlingame

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

Student Life Events On Tap as Graduation Approaches

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

Photo Gallery: Community Colleges Celebrate Music from the Movies

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

Clubs Provide Myriad Opportunities to Participate

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

Allen Hosts Aggie Days 2019

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

PTK Touted at BG

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

Four From Allen Shine For PTK

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

Allen Alum’s One-Acts Sure to Shock, Amaze

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

Work, Study, Why Not Both?

• Check Out PTK at Pizza Social

Student Activities

Wight to Represent Allen at State Band

The Official Student News Site of Allen Community College
Check Out PTK at Pizza Social