The Allen Flame

Time Management a Priority for Student Athletes

Brianna Brady, Student Activities Editor

Nikayla Kussatz
Freshman Gabby Guzman, a member of the women’s basketball team at Allen Community College had to learn how to manage her time as an involved student athlete.

Allen Community College is well known for its sports driven student athletes, but a lot of hard work is done behind the scenes from athletes in practice and the classroom that allows them to participate.

Freshman Gabby Guzman is one of Allen’s athletes on the girls basketball team. Guzman has faced learning how to balance her time between her work study job, homework, and basketball practices. Guzman expressed that although she loves spending time with her friends, she has learned to make time for herself to get everything finished, and to not stay up too late insuring her body is ready for practice the following day.

A typical day for Guzman is attending class from 9 a.m-Noon, heading to practice for 2 hours, and then sometimes going to watch film or study hall. Once she is finally finished she heads back to her room to work on homework.

Guzman offered words of advice to other student athletes that are struggling to juggle their busy schedules.

“As a student athlete you come to school to play your sport and get your schooling paid for,” said Guzman. “Don’t take this opportunity for granted; it may seem hard at first but it won’t take long to adjust.”

Academics are Guzman’s first priority.

“If you don’t pass your classes you don’t play. Point blank, period,” she said.

Don’t take this opportunity for granted; it may seem hard at first but it won’t take long to adjust.”

— Gabby Guzman

Courtesy of Samantha Nickell
Sophomore Samantha Nickell poses in Student Center before cheering at basketball game.

SOPHOMORE Samantha Nickell is on the cheerleading squad at Allen. She has been awarded with the Athlete of the Month in the past, and is a member of Phi Theta Kappa. Nickell has also struggled balancing her commitments, but she’s learned time managing skills, making school her top priority.

Although practice schedules work well with class times, Nickell said with having multiple practices, it can be difficult finding time for herself. But added that having a good support system can make all the difference.

“You have to come up with a plan and always use your time wisely,” Nickell said. “Really get to know your teammates, they will be one of your biggest support systems and many of them will become your best friends.”

Really get to know your teammates, they will be one of your biggest support systems and many of them will become your best friends.”

— Samantha Nickell

Nicki Peters, the chief advisor at Allen, offers her advice to those who may find themselves struggling as a student athlete, saying that planning one’s schedule for the week can keep a student feel prepared and confident.

Peters also expressed the importance of communicating with teachers and coaches. Advisors are notified when a student receives ESP’s so staying on the same page with them can be crucial.

It’s easy to fall behind in academics, as well as performance in athletics. For these students, finding a balance between the two is imperative. Using the resources offered at Allen can also help one achieve the goals they work hard for.

• Time Management a Priority for Student Athletes

Sports

Football & Allen Have Long History

Sports

Track Team Brings High Energy to Season

Sports

Softball and Baseball Welcome New Talent

Sports

Head Coaches and Parents: The Shaws Do It All

Sports

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Takes On Nationals

Sports

Men’s Basketball Underway

Sports

New Year, New Coach For Women’s Basketball

Sports

Womens, Mens Soccer Seasons Come To An End

Sports

Photo Gallery: Pink Out Volleyball Game Big Success

Sports

Photo Gallery: Jersey Night Dominated by Allen Pride

The Official Student News Site of Allen Community College