Spring Sports Start-up

Sophomore Nathan Best makes contact with the baseball driving it down the third base line.

Nikayla Kussatz, Health Editor

Baseball, softball, and men’s and women’s track are all beginning their seasons. Every athlete is going to have to adjust their schedules with games and meets happening this semester but every athlete has goals for themselves personally and as a team for the 2018 spring season.

Sophomore pitcher, Nathan Best, strives to be his best on and off of the baseball field, growing academically and athletically.

“Personally I want to improve off of my freshman year and help the freshmen grow into leaders for next season. I want to find a four year school that has my degree (public relations and advertising) and a good baseball program,” said Best. “As a team a good goal for us is 35 wins and to host a sub regional at the end of the season, and make it to the regional in Wichita.”

Personally I want to improve off of my freshman year and help the freshmen grow into leaders for next season.

— Nathan Best, Baseball

In January Best pitched a personal record of 101.3 mph and is excited to see how he grows throughout this baseball season.

As a freshman, catcher, outfielder and second baseman, Kendra England, has many things she would like to improve on herself to prepare for next year.

“I want to better myself and prepare for next year,” said England. “For the team, our goal is to make it to the second round of regionals and get as many wins as possible.”

Running the 5k/5000m and the 3k, sophomore Alejandro Ruiz has a goal to be faster in his races.

“I mainly want to improve on a daily basis,” Ruiz said. “To be able to dip under sub 15:30’s for a 5k is my biggest goal.”

The  men’s track team has a goal of their relays (4×800 and the distance medley relay) to compete for a national title. In addition, getting as many people to nationals and overall improve as a unit.

Freshman Jaelyn Casanova runs the 800 and wants to improve her time for this season.

“Being able to break 2:30 for my race is my biggest goal,” said Casanova.

Casanova has had no troubles since track has been in season. During the week she has certain times for school and practice. Both are scheduled to where they do not usually run into each other.

“If anything, my free time with my friends and running is what I enjoy to find time for the most, that is why I spend a lot of time making a good schedule so I can get my homework over with,” Casanova said.

Overall, every spring athlete and any other athlete has multiple goals for themselves and as a team as a whole. Each and every person wants to better themselves and all of them are excited to continue their season during this 2018 spring season.