Concussions Taken Seriously

Hannah Hulett, Features Editor

Headache and fatigue; loss of consciousness and dizziness; ringing of the ears, vomiting, and nausea; slurred speech and delayed response — these are but a few of the symptoms that may be present during a much more serious injury, a concussion.

Coaches and trainers at Allen Community College are constantly on the watch for health issues with their student-athletes, and concussions are among the most serious concerns.

A concussion is “a traumatic brain injury that alters the way one’s brain functions,” as defined by the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

Sophomore Jacob Eitel describes his experience after obtaining a concussion after being hit hard during a tackle in high school football,

“My head was spinning. Bright lights made my head throb, and I had a constant headache for a few days,” he said.

Concussions are commonly associated with sports, but athletes are not the only people subjectable to obtaining one.

“There is really no way to prevent a concussion,” Shane Venteicher, head athletic trainer at Allen, said. “A brain injury can happen at any time to any person, athlete or non-athlete.”

Though concussions may not be preventable, there are certain precautionary measures one can take to help reduce the risk of obtaining a concussion.

“Strengthening of the neck muscles is something that should be done by all contact athletes, [in addition to] proper hydration and playing their sport within the rules,” Venteicher said.

Specifically at Allen, athletes are to complete a test regarding concussions before ever beginning training. Coaches are responsible for teaching of proper techniques for the individual sports.

I an athlete obtains a concussion here at Allen, he or she is immediately entered into a protocol designed to allow for proper healing and recovery from the brain injury.

Concussions can be dangerous if not handled properly and in a timely manner. One should notify an official or get medical help as soon as possible if a concussion is suspected, Venteicher concluded.