Team Leader Reflects On Soccer Season

Jordan Velasco

Jordan Velasco

Austin George, News Editor

The men’s soccer team at Allen Community College is one of many sports the school has to offer. The soccer team in past years has put together a very good resume, making it to the playoffs five of the past eleven years.

This year the men prepared very well for their season by tying previous Red Devil soccer players 2-2. They also were faced with the challenge of playing Division II schools, McPherson College and Southern Nazarene College. The Red devils managed a tie in both games.

While preparing for the season, leaders emerged on the team. One of them was Jordan Velasco, Houston, Texas. At the beginning of the season, he said, “I plan to become a leader and captain of the squad. I want the team to fight hard and do their best to make the playoffs.”

The Red Devils are now nearing the end of their season with only one conference win on their resume. Unfortunately, it isn’t what Jordan nor the team hoped for. The team struggled throughout the season with a few injuries and three Red Cards.

With only two games remaining against KCK and Coffeyville, the Red Devils are no longer playoff contenders. However, Velasco stressed the importance of playing hard. “I want to push the freshmen to their limits and help them improve for next season,” he said.

Velasco will be leaving next year with hopes to play soccer at a four-year college. Although he is undecided on where he wants to attend, he is sure he wants to continue his soccer career.

“All I know is soccer and the game is always evolving and teaching me new things. I am not quite done learning,” he said.