Mission Improvable: A Show Worth Spying On

Paul Borcherding

The Mission Improvable act, below, came to the Allen Theatre stage last week and kept students in stitches. Above, team members concoct a scene with suggestions given by the audience.

Brogan Falls, News Editor

The Mission Improvable team performed in the Allen Community College theater building on September 21. This improvisation team was on a mission to make sure the students of Allen had a good time.

Students were invited to attend the show free of admission as a part of the regularly listed student activities for the week. The turnout was good — about half of the theatre filled — and the show was definitely a good time for the students and troupe alike.

Mission Improvable (the name is a play on the “Mission Impossible” television and movie franchise) is based out of Chicago and is a traveling improvised show. They invite audience members to give suggestions, meaning that no two shows that they do are the same. Keeping true to the theme of their namesake, the team dressed and acted like secret agents and involved the crowd by making the audience their co-agents.

Before each scene they ask the co-agents for suggestions of what to base the content of their scene. After they get their information, it is up to them to make a wild and amusing scene based on what they are presented.

The theater was practically in an uproar of laughter for every scene they performed. Students were constantly engaged in the action with their suggestions and participation. Every time the audience counted down the scene, they were not disappointed with what the improvers would make out of the material they wanted to see. When students were invited to come up on stage and perform alongside the improvers, there was a large number of students who were excited to partake in the fun.

The Mission Improvable team did a fantastic job connecting with the students of Allen. They made the show based around the wants of the audience which made for a much more enjoyable experience for all. Students were eager to share their ideas to see if the team were able to create a hilarious scene out of them.

Overall, with student involvement, great scenes, and a constant presence of laughter and excitement, I believe it is safe to say that it was a mission success for the Mission Improvable team.