Homecoming 2019 Candidates Crowned

Lindsey Temaat, Managing Editor

The Homecoming game vs. Coffeyville Community College on Monday, Feb. 11 marked the culmination of Allen Community College’s Spirit Week, with the announcement of the 2019 Homecoming King and Queen. This year, Perry Carroll, a member of the Allen men’s basketball team, and Amber Gloria, a member of the cross country and track team and Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) were crowned.

Just knowing that the people around me that see me at school and on the court really voted for me, I couldn’t thank them enough.

— Perry Carroll, 2019 Homecoming King

“Winning Homecoming King in college feels amazing,” said Carroll after the ceremony during halftime of the men’s game that night. “Just knowing that the people around me that see me at school and on the court really voted for me, I couldn’t thank them enough.”

Gloria shared a similar sentiment stating, “It is an honor to be able to represent the student body.”

Each year a group of candidates are nominated by activity sponsors, and then voted on by the students. The 2019 candidates were Jaylie Weseloh (Colliegiate Farm Bureau) and Justin Christie (Livestock Judging), Emily Fritz (volleyball) and Paul Borcherding (music, newspaper, PTK, Student Senate), Gloria and Xari Baroos-Juba (cross country/track), Darby Lewis (softball) and Jacob Pryor (baseball), and Samantha Nickell (cheer, PTK) and Carroll.

Both crowned royalty feel as though they have their coaches to thank for their positive experience at Allen. Carroll,  from Ottawa, Kan., said he is inspired by the faith that Head Men’s Basketball Coach Andy Shaw has shown in him from the beginning.

It is an honor to be able to represent the student body.

— Amber Gloria, 2019 Homecoming Queen

“Coming out of high school I didn’t have many offers, but Coach Shaw saw a bright future for me coming to Allen,” Carroll said. “I couldn’t thank Coach Shaw enough for believing in me and allowing me to become a leader here.”

Gloria came to Allen from Manhattan, Kan., to join the cross country and track team, but has become more involved in other programs at the school.

“My favorite part about Allen is Coach DeGrado, and the amazing student body environment,” Gloria said. “I initially came to Allen for the cross country and track program that DeGrado has built from the ground up, but I have learned that the school has much more to offer through organizations like PTK.”

In addition to the crowning, cheer, Allen Firestarters Dance Team, and the Allen Choir and band performed at the Homecoming game.