Allen County Comes Together for Fall Festival

Farm City Days

Courtesy of farmcitydays.com

Allen Community College cheer and dance teams march in the Farm City Days parade every year. Here, the 2017-18 team shows off their spirit to the community!

Lindsey Temaat, Managing Editor

Farm City Days, the annual fall festival in Iola, Kan. brings together Southeast Kansas residents for a day of fun and recreation. Many organizations are involved in the festival, including area high schools, and Allen Community College organizations. This year’s event is Friday, Oct. 12-13.

According to the official Farm City Days website, the event was born in 1971, when the Allen County Farm Bureau wanted to find a way to unite farmers and townspeople. What started as a farm tour and parade became a bustling event including a parade, food booths, craft booths, art, games for the kids, mud races, a car show, flying at the airport, band competitions, and more. The Piecemakers Quilt Guild even added a quilt show in 1981.

Courtesy of Thrive Allen County
The USD 257 bands march in the 2017 Farm City Days Parade.

“In the past 45 years there have been many changes in the annual events, more were added and some have been dropped, but the idea behind Farm City Days remains the same,” Aaron Franklin said in a statement on farmcitydays.com.  “Bringing both walks of life, Farmers and City folk, together for a time of fellowship and celebration to remind us that we are all part of a caring and thoughtful community we all call home.”

This year, the college’s Student Senate and Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society will be marching in the parade on Saturday at 11 a.m. alongside the Red Devil cheer and dance teams. The Allen Theatre Department will also perform a matinee showing of their production with the Iola Community Theatre at 2 p.m. on Saturday in the Bowlus Fine Arts Center following the parade.

For a full schedule of events, visit www.farmcitydays.com.