On-Campus Work Convenient, Constructive

Bailey Sprague, Photo Editor

On-campus or work study jobs are available all over Allen Community College. Many students have them, and they are available in almost every department of the college from maintenance to tutoring.

Freshman Imani Lemon, who works at the Allen Library, spoke about some of the benefits of having an on-campus job.

“I work 10 hours a week, on different days” Lemon said. “I make $7.25 an hour, which is nice for how much work I have to do.”

Lemon got the idea to get an on-campus job during freshman orientation on the second day of school.

“When they were giving us tours around campus, my group walked in while Sandy (Moore, library director) was saying that the library was hiring student workers,” Lemon said.

He stayed in the library after the tour and spoke to Moore about getting a job. “She had me fill out an application and then a few days later asked me to come in for an interview,” he said.

Lemon said he enjoys working on campus although he does not make as much money as he could in an off-campus job, mainly because he has a flexible schedule and is able to do homework while he is working.

“Working in the school has given me opportunities to meet people in the community as well as more faculty in the building. It’s helping me build my resume at the same time,” Lemon said.

If any student is interested in an on-campus job for the remainder of this year, or next year, they are advised to go to the Financial Aid Department and ask for a list of jobs still available and begin the application process.