Tips Help New College Students

Shamika Anderson and McKenzie Kueker spend the afternoon studying in the Allen Library.

Rachael Kothe

Rachael Kothe, Opinion Editor

College is the most exciting time in many people’s lives, yet it can also be one of the most stressful. This, according to LiveCareer, is due to lack of time management and disorganization.

Here are some helpful hints and tips to aid Allen Community College students through the school year.

1. Always, always go to class. If you don’t go to class you could be dropped or lose points for attendance.
  2. Get involved early. Network with your fellow students. Even if you aren’t outgoing, go for it. These connections will pay off later in life, guaranteed.
  3. Back up your files each and every time you make them. Put them on Google Drive and on a flash drive.
  4. Do your own taxes, not your parents, so you can get the hang of getting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid more easily and prepping you for life after college.
  5. Meet with your professors outside of class; it shows interest and it gives them a sense of you.
  6. Keep your academic advisor in the know. They can’t help you if they don’t know what is wrong.
  7. Keep to a budget. Spending whatever money you have wisely is important.
  8. Keep on top of homework. If you manage your time wisely you should never have to worry about bad grades.
  9. Take time to get tutoring if necessary. It’s a free service here at Allen, so use it.
  10. Work hard so you can play hard.

These pointers will aid students  throughout their college years. Stick to them and you should be successful in school and in life.

Terri Piazza, a communication instructor at Allen, said, “Being Organized is going to help the student be success throughout the whole semester. They also need make sure that they have all the materials they need.”

She added, “Making a schedule for yourself goes back to being organized.”