Commencement Is Saturday

Elvira Avdeyeva, Flame Activities Editor

On Saturday, May 17, Allen Community College will have its 86th graduation ceremony at 10:30 a.m. in the gymnasium on the Iola campus.

This year Allen has three hundred eleven students who have applied to graduate, according to Registrar Bobbie Haviland. Among them are seventeen students who plan to graduate with an Associate of Applied Science degree, thirty-seven with an Associate of General Studies, one hundred thirty-nine with an Associate of Arts, and one hundred eighteen with an Associate of Science degree.

Introduction of platform guests will be given by President John Masterson at the beginning of the ceremony. Later on, thoughts for the graduating class will be given by Hailee Miller, who graduates this year with an Associates of Science Degree in agriculture and natural resources.

“I was asked to give the speech by Cynthia Jacobson (vice president for student affairs). I have always loved speaking in front of people, so I instantly accepted her request and I am excited to speak,” says Miller.

Jeff Dieker, a pharmacist in Iola, will be another speaker at the ceremony this year. He is the Distinguished Alumnus from the class of 1985. During the ceremony the Allen Concert Choir will sing “Flower of Beauty” and “I`ll Be There.”

Graduates and their guests are invited to a reception immediately following the ceremony in front of the main academic building.