Covid-19: Booster Shots Fight the Omicron Variant.

Daniela Gonzalez, Student Reporter

With the current pandemic the country’s been under for the last year, new variants have been discovered like the Delta variant and the more recent Omicron variant. Fortunately, more health preventions have arrived to help prevent them as well, like the different kinds of shots and the boosters have been created and approved among healthcare workers and the Center for Disease Control.

The Omicron variant was first discovered on November 24, 2021, in South Africa. Since then, it has been gradually escalating and more cases have been identified around the world, including within the U.S. This variant was classified as a “Variant of Concern” because of its rapid spread in South Africa. It is believed that the variant can infect a person, even if they have been previously vaccinated against Covid-19, making this possibly the most threatening variant yet.

Both vaccine application and the use of masks are strongly recommended to help with the prevention of the coronavirus and its variants around the U.S. According to the CDC, both vaccines and mask wearing reduces the risk of acquiring the virus. Yet, recent evidence shows that vaccine effectiveness against Covid-19 can degrade over time. That is why healthcare departments and the CDC strongly recommend getting the booster shot, to increase a person’s immune response.

The booster shot works for individuals that have taken the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines 6 months preceding the booster application. For those who got the J&J it is recommended that they take the booster 2 months after the time the vaccination was administered. The booster shot not only prevents the risk of infection, but it also helps with the prevention of the Covid-19 symptoms.