The Allen Flame

Adrienne Fleming: Starting on a High Note

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adrienne Fleming is the new vocal music instructor at Allen, and conducted her first performance with the college earlier this month at the Bowlus Fine Arts Center.

Persephone Burleson

Persephone Burleson

Persephone Burleson

Persephone Burleson, News Editor

Adrienne Fleming is the new vocal music instructor at Allen Community College.

She received her bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts from Oakland University in Rochester, Mich. After taking a break to get married and start a family, she decided to go back to school. She received her Master of Arts with an emphasis in theater studies from Kansas University. She now has a 2-year-old son and an 8-month-old daughter.

Fleming learned about the opening from Tony Piazza, another teacher at Allen. Piazza reached out and let her co-direct and choreograph his three-week summer theater performance. Having a theater and vocal background, she was excited to take the opportunity.

“I’ve been getting the lay of the land; my feet on the ground, if you will. I’ve been creating a good relationship with my students. A sense of community is really important for any of the arts. It takes a certain vulnerability to really create an ensemble,” Fleming said.

Persephone Burleson
Adrienne Fleming leads the Allen choir at their recent choir concert. The theme was ‘Songs from the Stage.’ “The theme was perfect for me, coming from the stage. They are all songs I enjoy from stage productions, but also ones made famous by actors or actresses,” Fleming said.

She is eager to push her students to become the best they can be, and to get the Jazz Singers program reinstated next semester. Choir is open to anyone, but Jazz Singers will be audition-based.

“I’m very impressed with the group this year. For next year, I’d love to try and travel and maybe even get to a couple of festivals,” said Fleming.

When asked what her greatest accomplishment so far was, Fleming said, “It has to be the opportunity to cultivate and further inspire students who have vested interest in the arts. If I can make a student’s life better because they came to choir that day, then that’s the point.”

Applications for a music activity scholarship must be turned in the semester before intending to start. Senior Day at Allen on November 7, where current high school seniors can sit in on classes and see the programs and what they do.

Fleming said, “If you’re thinking of joining but you’re nervous, don’t be. Even if you don’t read music, there is always room for more. We have a lot of fun!”

• Adrienne Fleming: Starting on a High Note

Feature

Meet the Board of Trustees

Feature

Regehr Retiring After Illustrious Career

Feature

Students Reflect on 2019 School Year

Feature

Advising Director Enjoys Serving Students

Feature

Roger Campbell: Academic Virtuoso and Living Legend

Feature

Erikson Slated to Retire After Long Career at Allen

Feature

Allen’s Erik Griffith Recalls His Stay in the Land of the Rising Sun

Feature

Pregnancy Resource Center offers Assistance to New Parents

Feature

Allen Has Major Variety

Feature

Meet the Dean, Tosca Harris Takes on PTK

The Official Student News Site of Allen Community College