Second Semester Mindset

Students Get Back in the Groove at ACC

Instead+of+studying+between+classes%2C+freshman+Jose+Trejo%2C+and+sophomores+Antonio+Fiallos%2C+Dogan+Bagde%2C+Victor+Nwankwo%2C+and+Braden+Phetchamhanh%2C+choose+to+nap+before+their+next+class.+

Nikayla Kussatz

Instead of studying between classes, freshman Jose Trejo, and sophomores Antonio Fiallos, Dogan Bagde, Victor Nwankwo, and Braden Phetchamhanh, choose to nap before their next class.

Nikayla Kussatz, Health Editor

From Dec. 16 to Jan. 14, students were able to go home for winter break. Over this period of time, many students celebrated the holidays and spent time with their families, friends and pets. Coming back to school can be hard for some students, while others were excited to come back.
“I was excited to see all of my friends but I was nervous because I wanted to do well and get better grades for this new semester,” freshman Chase Hochard said.

Due to still being in season and having a game on Jan. 3, the men’s basketball team had to come back from winter break on Dec. 27 to prepare.

“I was excited to come back so I could see my team and get better on the court, but things were pretty boring on campus because the school wasn’t open and no one else was here,” said Freshman Wesley Anderson Jr. “Second semester classes are a lot smoother and easier than first semester for me. I’m hoping to work harder in the classroom and on the court to get better grades and better my game.”

The baseball team started their season just weeks after winter break ended. They had practice every day to prepare them which was difficult for some players getting back in their groove.

This semester will definitely be busier now that baseball has started so I just have to take time and find that balance between taking care of business in the classroom as well as on the field.

— Matt Phipps

Sophomore catcher Matt Phipps lives in Florida and was dreading coming back to the freezing cold Kansas weather, but at the same time he was excited to come back to his team.

“Leaving 80 degree weather was tough but knowing that our season was approaching, it was nice knowing that I would have a daily routine again,” Phipps said. “This semester will definitely be busier now that baseball has started so I just have to take time and find that balance between taking care of business in the classroom as well as on the field.”

Here on a track and field scholarship, freshman Xari Barros, who is also from Florida, found it difficult to come back to Kansas after living in warm weather for a month.

“Coming back to Kansas after being in warm Florida weather is awful but I’m here for a reason, so I try to make the best of it. This semester I plan to come back stronger than when I left. I’m going to do all of my assignments after practice and not get distracted,” Barros said.

Freshman Quinton Duran took his first semester of school off to work and save money. Duran came to Allen at semester to play soccer next year.

“I was very intrigued with how fluent it was getting adjusted to the college life. All the staff seems very reasonable when having issues in day to day student life. They care about your education and strive to make sure you’re successful, which is really nice with it being my first time in college,” said Duran. “I want to get a good GPA (so I can transfer) to a university and to continue soccer elsewhere. Wherever I choose to go in these next couple of years, I need to apply myself 100% in the classroom to do the best I can.”

Overall, every student that was interviewed wants to improve during the second semester of the 2017-18 school year. After the fall semester, many freshman understand what they need to do to succeed in the classroom and in their sport, while sophomores are preparing themselves to either start working or to transfer to a university.

“So far this is a great school and I am excited to see improvements in myself throughout my classes,” Duran said.