Students Enjoy ‘Hallowthanksmas’

Nikayla Kussatz

Chelsea King and Mikaela Cofer have elaborated decorated their residence hall door for Christmas.

Nikayla Kussatz, Health Editor

As the beginning of the holiday season comes around the corner, many people here at Allen Community College do a multitude of different activities over the three month period of October, November and December.

Over Halloween the temperature got to a low of 25 degrees so trick-or-treating, let alone stepping outside, was not the first option for most students.

“For Halloween me and my friends decided to go to IHOP in Lawrence. We definitely needed some good pancakes, and the drive was worth it,” said freshman Adriana Nunez.

The next season to come up is Thanksgiving where students have a week of of school to leave campus and celebrate. Most students end up going home for this holiday but the boys basketball team cannot due to being in season. Instead of sticking to his tradition of Thanksgiving at his grandma’s house, freshman Darius Love from Houston, Texas, and the rest of the basketball team are attending holiday dinner at Coach Shaw’s house.

“Since we can’t go home this year, the whole team is going to dinner at coach’s house. I haven’t seen my family since mid August,” Love said. “I really miss everyone back home but I’ll see them over winter break so I’m really excited for that.”

Right after Thanksgiving is Black Friday, the prime time to buy Christmas presents, but freshman Bryce Walker sees this event as a time to reward himself.

“During Black Friday one year I knocked a solid $600 off of the price on my PC. Usually if I see something I like and it’s somewhat discounted, I’ll get it. I’m not a huge Black Friday shopper but I’ll wake up to go buy the discounted things that I want,” said Walker.

Based on a study of 50 student’s favorite holiday

Last on the list of holidays is Christmas. Freshmen Chelsea King and Mikaela Cofer decided to completely decorate their dorm door in Christmas decor before November even came knocking.

“It was super boring in the hallways and me and my roommate both love Christmas and hate Halloween, so we just decided to skip Halloween and go straight to Christmas in October,” King said.

Christmas is full of traditions whether it is just spending time with family or feasting on massive meals.

“Every year my family buys matching onesies and we wear them on Christmas morning to open our presents,” said King.

Once this three month stretch of Hallowthanksmas is over, a nap is necessary for some people after this stressful period. Some people have traditions for these holidays and some just enjoy spending time with friends and family on their break.