There’s Always a Smile in the Mailroom

Ke'Voughn Manning

Julie Ingle helps students, faculty and staff in the Allen mailroom.

Ke'Voughn Manning, Sports Editor

Students having business in the mailroom are always greeted with a friendly face. Whether it’s identification cards, packages from home or any other of several services she provides, Julie Ingle does them all cheerfully and caringly for Allen Community College students.

Ingle has been campus service technician and administrative assistant at Allen since June 29, 2016. She previously worked for the school district in Iola for 17 years as a substitute teacher and library aide, and she helped with the Title I program for struggling students.

Ingle attended Sullivan (Illinois) High School and graduated in 1987. Upon graduation she attended Eastern Illinois University for one year in Charleston, Ill., and also Glassboro State University in Glassboro, N.J., as an elementary education major.

She chose to work at Allen because she wanted something different from her previous job. Ingle enjoyed her past secretary work and she stated that “working here at Allen has helped me interact with students, which I like. I love kids and I chose my major because I love kids and I love school.”

Ingle feels that her job was a good change because she enjoys what she does. She also loves how friendly the staff members are here at Allen, she enjoys working with the students and enjoys being in a college environment. She has been impressed with Allen’s students’ manners, being polite and respectful.

“I love getting to know the students,” she said. “I have developed motherly relationships with my students and I treat them like my own children.”

She plans to be at Allen until she retires within the next 15 to 17 years, but she enoys her work and is not really looking forward to retiring just yet.

IN ORDER TO receive a package from the mailroom, a student’s mail or package must first come in from Federal Express, UPS, or the United States Postal Service. Ingle says she signs for them once they come in, then she emails a student regarding his or her mail or package. Once a student comes to claim their mail or package they must show identification, then sign for it.

Ingle says that she enjoys being a full-time mother to her three children and she takes pride in doing photography on the side, mostly high school senior pictures. She enjoys playing the piano.

“If I can give the students words of advice to always remember, it would be to treat others the way you want to be treated, and enjoy your college years because they will be the best of your life,” Ingle said.