Allen Getting Active

Ryan Bilderback, director of student life, mans the Dollar Blizzard Night at Iola Dairy Queen.

Brogan Falls

Brogan Falls, News Editor

Allen Community College offers a variety of student activities in which it urges students to participate in and enjoy. Activities consist of, but are not limited, to Dollar Blizzard Night, Dollar Movie Night, Free Bowling Night, game night, and any other special appearances or performances, according to Ryan Bilderback, director of student life and housing at Allen.

These activities are designed to be affordable and enjoyable fun for all members of Allen, on or off campus. They are set up so that students can interact with each other and make new friends. Each activity is announced a week in advance.

While there is always something going on at Allen, like games and theater plays, the student activities create an environment where students can relax and connect with people while having fun.

According to Bilderback, Allen understands that new students may be apprehensive about starting the new semester out right, and that many students can get homesick.

“We want students to get off to a good start this semester, with Allen, with other students and with the community of Iola,” said Bilderback. This is the reasoning for such a wide variety of choices in activities during the beginning of the year, not to mention the block party.

Student activities aren’t just beneficial for students, but also for the college. The connection they make in the community makes them want to come back, which creates more business in the community. Getting involved in these activities allows both ends of the community to make new connections.

“Students don’t just come to college for education,” Bilderback said. “They come for a positive experience.”