Queen, King Honored

Jaci Ross

Ashley Womack and Jermaine Long are Allen’s 2016 Homecoming royalty.

Quincy Yeubanks, Flame Staff Writer

Homecoming royalty was crowned February 17 at halftime of the men’s Allen Community College basketball game against Butler. Ashley Womack was voted queen.and Jermaine Long won the king’s crown.

Womack is a sophomore from Silver Lake, Kansas, majoring in secondary education. She is an infielder for the Lady Red Devils softball team. Long is a sophomore from New Orleans, Louisiana, majoring in physical therapy. He plays on the Red Devil basketball team.

The homecoming nomination process happens in February of the spring semester. Ryan Bilderback, director of Student Life and Housing, explained the process.

“Nominees must be in good standing with the college, along with being in good standing in their specific program,” Bilderback said. “Athletic coaches and activity sponsors nominate one sophomore boy and one sophomore girl whom they believe fit this criteria.”

This list of names is then left up to the students of Allen to decide winners. Each student votes once for five girls and five boys. Once these ten are narrowed down, each student votes once for the king and queen royalty.

Homecoming is a community wide event, bringing in the families of candidates, local alumni, and sometimes even former royalty. A tradition practiced by many different schools and universities, Allen Community College makes the celebration a tradition of its own.