Mental Health Awareness: Don’t Struggle Alone

During the 2020–2021 school year, more than 60% of college students met the criteria for at least one mental health problem. -Healthy Minds Study

Sarah Navidad, Student Reporter

College is a new chapter for every student. Whether it’s being an athlete or just a student on campus, it can get tough at times. This can come from feeling stressed or overwhelmed, or feeling both overwhelmed and stressed. These feelings can originate either from the stress of school or problems at home, to just not being happy or feeling isolated and alone.

Students that experience these feelings should reach out for help with either online or in person counseling. Taking the step to visit a counselor is an act of bravery. It can be difficult to talk to strangers about our personal burdens and struggles, especially if we feel as though they are unimportant in the larger scheme of life. Yet, seeking counseling is so very important. Counselors are here to help in any way that is needed and, more importantly, they care deeply about helping a person improve themselves.

Luckily, counseling can be easier to find than one might think. Online counseling has grown in popularity since it’s easier and can be done almost anywhere at any time. Whether online or in person, professional counselors help clients identify goals and potential solutions to problems which have caused emotional turmoil. They also seek to improve a client’s communication and coping skills; strengthen their self-esteem; and promote behavioral changes that optimize mental health.

Believe it or not, mental health can be greatly improved by therapy. Therapy comes in a wide variety of forms, and therapists vary widely. Nevertheless, there are some things a person can generally anticipate. Many people are anxious the first time they visit a therapist. That is typical! A person should be ready to ask any questions they might have. Ask about the counselor’s method of therapy, any unique approaches they employ, or whether they have dealt with people who had comparable situations. It’s acceptable, and not unexpected, to raise concerns or simply find another therapist if something the therapist does causes a feeling of uneasiness. If this situation occurs, don’t give up completely. Instead, attempt to persevere for a few sessions.

With my own personal experience, I recently started counseling about 3 weeks ago. I always thought I’d never need counseling, but in the end, it changed my life for the better. I personally do counseling on my phone, since I am here in Iola, KS and away from where I normally live in the city. Even though it’s through the phone/chat, the counseling has helped me so much mentally. I get to express myself and feelings to someone that I can trust and feel comfortable opening up to. Part of the counseling has had me look at things from a different perspective, which has helped me improve my knowledge skills. I encourage anyone going through difficult times to get help and do better for themselves.

Counseling can boost mood, treat mental illness, lower medical expenses, enhance relationships and communication, and foster self-worth and resiliency. If you are in need of counseling, you can find resources at online sources like BetterHelp.com, Regain.us, and Cerebral.com. Admissions counselors and advisors at your college may also be able to help find local counselors. There is help. Reach out today!