New Coaches Seek To Help Athletes In Life, Classroom

Junior+Cadet

Junior Cadet

Charles Williams, Sports Editor

“The better understanding you have of something, the more your opportunities and windows will open.” Those are the words of new Allen Community College Track Assistant Coach Junior Cadet.

He is an alumni of Middle Tennessee State University with a bachelor’s degree in electronic media production. Cadet was in track and field as a hurdles runner. He came to America from his native Haiti when he was just 6 years old and grew up in the West Palm Beach, Fla.

What brought him to Allen was the opportunity to help get athletes to a bigger school of their choice after getting adjusted to the college lifestyle. He believes that student-athletes’ education comes not just from a coach, but from an athlete wanting to learn just as much as a coach wants to teach.

When Cadet is not coaching, he values his time in helping young adults learn about life with and without sports. He also likes to play video games and intramural sports such as football and basketball. As a coach Cadet strives to be encouraging, but tough when he needs to be, he said. He is great with helping the mental state of an athlete, with a “you can always do it” attitude.  He is also training to be in the 2016 Olympics to run for his home country.

ANOTHER COACH starting his first year in coaching here at Allen is Clint Stoy, head baseball coach. He’s from Oklahoma City, Okla., but was first pushed to Cowley Community College for baseball in his beginning stages of college. He then transferred to the University of Southern Mississippi and was a dominant player, being named to the all-conference team in 2001.

Stoy has traveled to various cities and countries, ranging from Chicago to Japan. He has great experience in recruiting and crafting players that can go to Division One and even further to the minor and major leagues. He also was a physical education teacher at Nicholls State.

In his spare time, Stoy likes to spend time with his wife and family, who reside in Iola. He likes the outdoors so fishing and hunting are some of his hobbies. He is known as a jokester to his players and his coworkers, and always tries to be an upbeat person.

Stoy is an involved coach, checking on his students randomly and staying up on their class work. He said he appreciates hard working people, and those who go the extra mile to become great in anything they do. He also coaches outside summer league teams to keep his mind on baseball year-round. His favorite quote is “If short cuts were easy, they would just be called ‘the way.’”

Clint Stoy
Clint Stoy